Local Snakes in NYC
Whether you have an interest in snakes or are worried about poisonous snakes, it is worth knowing what kind of snakes you might see on your property. Only one type of snake found in NYC is poisonous, and other snakes in the area include:
- Copperheads – Of New York State’s three venomous snakes, copperheads are the only one to be found in NYC in recent years. Measuring about 2 to 3 feet, copperheads are light brown with darker brown patterning.
- Northern Brown Snakes – Commonly found in gardens, these snakes are less than 1 foot long and light brown with dark brown spots.
- Eastern Garter Snakes – Garter snakes are known for their distinctive yellow stripes, and can be brown, green, or black beneath the stripes. They average 18-26 inches.
- Northern Red Bellied Snakes – As the name implies, these snakes have a red underside. The rest of the body is brown with yellow spots near the head. They are generally thin and grow to 12 inches.
- Northern Ring-Necked Snakes – Blueish grey to black, these snakes have a narrow yellow ring around the neck and lighter underside. They measure 10-15 inches.
- Eastern Milk Snakes – Milk snakes are cream colored with red markings surrounded by a black border and grow about 2 to 3 feet.
- Hognose Snakes – With a snout resembling a pig nose, hognose snakes are generally sandy with black and white markings.
- Northern Water Snakes – Water snakes have distinctive dark crossbands in brown, grey, black, or dark red and average 2 to 4 feet long.
Because there are so few snake species in NYC, they are protected by law and cannot be collected. Additionally as snake populations grow and shift over time, new snakes could always make their way back into the city.
Professional Snake Removal with NY and NJ Animal Control Trappers
While the majority of snakes are harmless to humans and larger animals, many people still don’t want them around their homes as they can be an unwelcome surprise if you come across one while outside. Even worse, snakes can sometimes find their way inside, and while they may not all be venomous, some bite and others are simply upsetting to your family. Yet because snakes are helpful to the environment – they feed on other pests to help manage populations – they should be trapped and relocated, rather than killed. NY and NJ Animal Control Trappers is a professional animal control service that can relocate snakes to a safer area.
If you have seen a snake or your property, give us a call. We also have 24 hour emergency services available to handle wildlife in your home or business that poses an immediate threat.