Types of Roof Damage Caused by Wildlife
Squirrels, raccoons, birds, rodents, and more can all cause damage if they make their way onto your roof. Whether they are attempting to get inside your attic or merely using the roof as a nesting place, their presence may result in:
- Loosened or Torn Shingles – Any animals running over shingles can displace them. Raccoons and squirrels may also tear shingles out to gain access to the attic.
- Soffit or Fascia Damage – Squirrels and raccoons can chew through soffits and fascia to get inside. They may nest behind soffits as well, causing the surface to deteriorate.
- Droppings – Bird droppings contain uric acid which will eat away at almost any material they land on. This will soften and weaken shingles over time.
- Blocked Vents – Any animal that nests around vents can block the airflow through vents, resulting in a less energy-efficient home. If the vent is for air intake, harmful bacteria from the animal’s nest can also be spread throughout the interior of the property.
- Solar Panel Damage – If you have roof solar panels, birds and squirrels nesting beneath them put the sensitive wiring and electrical components at risk. The weight of a nest beneath solar panels can also be too much pressure on the underlying roof.
If wildlife creates holes in your roof, these provide potential entry points for future animals to get into your attic and result in even more damage.
Preventing animal access to your roof and protecting weak points such as solar panels and vents is the best way to prevent roof damage before it happens. At NY and NJ Animal Control Trappers, we use a range of techniques to manage wildlife from installing critter guards around vents and solar panels to controlling the habitat by cutting back trees.
For roof wildlife damage that has already occurred, we offer restoration services to repair any destruction and prevent leaks and future invasions. Contact us to learn more about how we combat roof damage from animals.